Bitten by the Bug 2 – Bon Appetit

Today starts a new challenge on Bitten by the Bug 2 that focuses on food.  I used it as a chance to use a new technique called an Iris Shutter Card.

This card starts with a closed center.

  Then a lever on the side opens the center.

Just like a camera shutter to reveal a surprise inside.

I had been wanting to try this technique ever since seeing it on some card sites, but all of them used a physical die for the various parts used.  Not only are the dies expensive, but I don’t like getting a physical die when I have my Cricut to use.  Then I discovered the Lori Whitlock site and they had a lot of these cards as svg files.  This one is the 5 x 7 Iris Shutter Card Oven and can be found here. It was pretty easy to put together following her video.  I changed the front up a little and now that I have the basic elements, I can make more with different fronts.  The patterned cardstock was from a DCWV stack called Nana’s Kitchen.  I did flatten the center image so that it was a print and cut, but you could easily swap out for a sentiment too.  The front sentiment is from a Club Scrap set called 50’s Kitchen.

So find your own fun food themed project to make on your Cricut and link it up over at Bitten by the Bug 2 by February 28th.  Get some inspiration with the other designers there and have fun – Denise.

Bitten by the Bug 2 Valentine challenge.

For the next two weeks Bitten by the Bug 2 is hosting a challenge using Valentines or hearts.  I decided to do a masculine valentine that my son could use for his wife if he wanted.  He is pretty proud of his truck, so I thought of him when I found this file in


The designer is PaperCut and I really like their files.  This was super easy to put together.  I sized the image to be 5.75 inches across and then sized a square to fit behind it.  I moved that to the left side of the image and welded the two to make a card.  On this card, I backed the front with red paper and added some Wink of Stella to the hearts and the diamond cutouts.  My Wink of Stella is old and didn’t come out the nicest, so I guess it is time to get some new.  I found a sentiment that is an acrylic stamp and bent the stamp on the stamping block to fit in the banner.  It is nice to be able to manipulate acrylic stamps that way.

I did a second card in heavier cardstock so that the front didn’t need a backing and the inside of the card would be what gave it the second color.


I like the look of this card a lot and so didn’t give it any embellishments.

Now it is time to use your Cricut and make your own project for Valentine’s Day or just include a heart and link it up at Bitten by the Bug 2.  You have until February 14th which is perfect timing. – Denise